3 Hudson St. Chester, NY 10918 | 139 Stage Rd. Monroe, NY 10950
Certified Funeral Service Practitioner
"Special People Deserve Special Services"
"A Family only gets to say goodbye once, the service must be significant,
having meaning and reflect the love of the life lived"
Thomas Francis Xavier Flynn, Jr., CFSP, CLC, CCO, LFD., fondly known by many as “Tommy”is the fifth of six children born to Thomas F.X. & Rita P. Flynn, Sr., they opened the Monroe location in 1954 and the Chester location in 1956. Their tradition of quality and individualized funeral and memorial services lives on in Tommy Flynn.
Tommy found himself at an early age, stating a simple and pure concept after the death of his grandfather – Special people deserve special services and he has based his entire professional model upon that simple approach.
He makes every effort for the total and complete satisfaction of those that have selected his personal services and pushes himself and his employees to make every moment special for those families selecting his guidance and suggestions.
For some people death can not be understood. Its presence grips the very consciousness of our bodies with shock, heartache, and rage. It breaks us down into the core of the heart until our bodies are consumed by numbness. Induced by the unreal and fostered by a void, our psyches’ transition into a tolerable state is very hard-pressed. Nonetheless, Tommy knows this and it is his role to guide families during the journey of adjustment to the lost of a loved one
He has mastered multiple strengths in 33 years of working in the funeral, cremation and memorial environment. With all his talents focused on the family that has selected his service, he has a way of celebrating the life lived which is unique each and every time.
Tommy's gift of telling the life story or presenting to those the impact of the life lived, on all whom may have came into contact with the deceased is a testament to his faith in human beings in general and the value of life, family and friends.
Tommy has helped to train staff members at numerous Crematories in the United States regarding correct cremation procedures, He has conducted training seminars for crematories and equipment manufactures from around the United States. We have also been selected to lecture Mortuary Science students at several major Universities. Major Medical Schools in the Northeast have retained the services of Tommy and his staff to facilitate the final disposition of those donated in the memory of education and science. Tommy has created many memorials (Monuments) and has been retained by the Honorable Edward I. Koch, the former Mayor of the City of New York and Dr. Robert Ray Parks the 15th Rector of Trinity Church to design and place their memorials. Its a credit to Tommy on the manner by which major universities various religious groups and individuals from all walks of life, call on him to manage the details that need to be attended to in a calm and professional manner, when a death event or ceremony is needed to represent the life lived.
Personal background of Tommy Flynn;
Tommy is married to Margie Patterson-Flynn a local elementary school teacher, and they have four children – Conor Francis, Brendan Thomas, Shannon Marie and Liam Joseph Flynn. They reside in Monroe, NY – Tommy grew up in the Chester Community. He attended St. Columba R.C. School in Chester, NY and John S. Burke Catholic High School in Goshen, NY. He went on to Mortuary Science College, and completed his course of study with High Honors. He began working in the funeral industry on July 3, 1983. Tommy moved back to Chester after completing his Residency program in New York City and was asked by the local Pastor of St. Columba R.C. Church, to help the school by coaching the Basketball team. After the third session of coaching he met the Third Grade Teacher Margie Patterson and the rest is history, 18 months later Fr. Gorman and Fr. George married Tommy and Margie. He has always been very fond of the lifelong friendship’s he has developed in the Chester and Monroe area, while attending school or playing sports. He has been very active in the Chester and Monroe Communities with various Public and Church related organizations. He enjoys working on behalf of the local food banks and supporting their work. He enjoys the summer season and the New Jersey Shore enjoying time with family and friends.
- Certified Funeral Service Practitioner;
- New York State Licensed Funeral Director Since July 4, 1984;
- State Certified Crematory Operator since 1989 – Former Instructor;
- Cremation Association of North American CCO;
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation CCO;
- National Certified Life Celebrant – 2 Certifications;
- Member of the National Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the New York State Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the Metropolitan Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the New Jersey Funeral Directors Association;
- Member of the Orange, Rockland and Sullivan Counties Funeral Directors Association;
- President and Trustee of Oxford Hills Crematory, Founding Board member since 1988
Community Memberships & Affiliations:
- Ancient Order of Hibernians, Joseph Duelk, Jr. ,Division 1, Monroe, NY – member since 1983;
- Former President, Vice President, Financial Secretary & Recording Secretary - JDJ - Division 1;
- 2015 Vice President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York
- 2016 President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York;
- 2017 President of the Joseph Duelk, Jr., Division 1, Monroe, New York;
- Ancient Order of Hibernians Orange County Board Chair;
- Member of the Pipes and Drums of the AOH – Division 1 Band since 1984;
- Knights of Columbus Council 2079, Monroe, New York 4th Degree Knight;
- Charter Member of the 4th Degree K of C, John Cardinal O’Connor Assembly 2640;
- Holy Name Society – Chair of the Annual Corn Beef & Cabbage Dinner;
- Chester Kiwanis – Chair of the Annual Chester Clean Up Day;
- Mid Hudson Parade Committee – E-Journal Chair;
- Mid Hudson Parade Committee – long time sponsor & original Gold & then first Platinum Sponsor;
- St. Brendan’s Gaelic Football Club, Orange County;
- Chair of the Clergy Dinner of the Orange County AOH and LAOH;
- Community Basketball, Soccer, Baseball & Gaelic Football Coach/Sponsor;
- Lifelong member of St. Columba R. C. Church, Chester, NY;
- Former Founding Member of the Board Directors of Hospice of Orange & Sullivan;
- Charter Member of Monroe Chamber.
January 15, 2016
Many professions grant special recognition to members upon completion of a series of academic and service requirements that eclipse those of state or national licensing boards. This level of achievement is often recognized by the use of initials after one's name to signify this level of achievement.
Today, I am honored to present to you a member of the funeral service profession who has obtained the designation of Certified Funeral Service Practitioner -- CFSP. Thomas Francis Xavier Flynn Jr,(CFSP, CCO, CLC, LFD)